Friday, April 12, 2019

Finally Seeing some Light

Just a warning, this is going to be a novel, so grab a hot beverage and get cozy.  :-)

The last time I wrote I was working on my health.  What I failed to mention was that there were family issues going on and they were so stressful that my health was on the rocks.  The Christmas season was a little stressful, but not too bad.  We got to see our grandsons and give them gifts, which was totally a blessing of the Lord.  The key was lowering my expectations, oh how necessary that was. Instead, I placed my expectations with the Lord and waited on Him.  A better place to be I think.  ;-)

January seems a blur, but health-wise I remember my hair began thinning more so I went to the doctor to have my thyroid checked at the advice of my sister, who had the same issue going on.  My sister's doctor put her on thyroid med.  For me, that wasn't the case, my thyroid came out to be fine.  I followed up that appointment with an endocrinologist in early February, who checked out my thyroid via ultrasound.  It was normal.  At the time I went into see her, I had some swollen glands in my neck, which she checked those and said they were normal despite being swollen.  She said I must be fighting something off so best thing to do was rest.

So the next day I stayed home and rested.  Mind you at the same time this was all going on I was still trying to keep my fungal rash stuff under control through diet and supplements.  It was at the end of January my bowels began cramping and doing unusual stuff.  I thought it might be from the supplements that I was taking.  But then the day after resting with my swollen glands my bowel went crazy.  I don't know what happened, but I was on the floor of my bathroom and the pain was so bad I nearly passed out.  Then I exploded from both ends and my body went into shock.  Afterward I went to my GP and all he could say was that I had some kind of viral infection.  He seemed unconcerned.

So I went home and tried to carry on my life as normal, but I didn't feel well.  Then exactly one week later my bowels began cramping like I have never felt before and I completely emptied out.  Another week went by and it happened again, but less severe that time.  I had been missing my ladies Bible study group and I wanted to go, so I bit the bullet and went.  I thought once I was there it would make me feel better.  It was February 23rd, and I was sitting with the ladies and all the sudden I had this weird feeling wash over me.  I felt like I was going to pass out.  They prayed over me and I finally got stable enough that I drove myself home.  After that day that feeling kept plaguing me.  It was so bad I sometimes felt like I was going to die.

The feeling would plague me whenever.  I couldn't go out very often for fear I would pass out in a public place.  I didn't know what was causing it.  My arms would get a numb/tingling feeling, sometimes it would be in my legs too.  Sometimes it would last hours, sometimes days.  I basically had no control.  As for my bowel, it was doing better, but not completely.  I didn't know if the two were related.  So I went to my bowel doctor and after exam he thought I am fine, but ordered a CT scan to see for sure.  So I got that set up for March 19, but then had to reschedule it to April 2nd. I also went back to my GP's office and they ran a load of blood tests which all came back normal.

During this time, my weight dropped down to 96 lbs, which I had never been 96 lbs in my adult life.  Anyway, praise be to God, exactly one month from the time the spells started they stopped.  So thankful the Lord had mercy on me.  However on March 23rd my kitty injured herself and was in tremendous pain.  She was shaking and she had vomited.  I took her to the emergency vet as it was a Saturday night.  They couldn't find anything wrong with her they just gave her a nausea shot and fluids.

On Monday I called around and finally got Daisy kitty into a vet.  Again they couldn't find anything wrong with her on exam.  So we did blood and urine tests.  Nothing.  Then we did xrays and again, nothing.  So they sent us home with pain medicine.  Daisy did not like the pain medicine and fought it so much we gave it up.  So we just let her be, but she was in horrible pain, I couldn't stand it.  I did not know what to do, I thought of putting her down, but she was functioning and healthy otherwise.  This is when I noticed my hair was falling out again and a bald spot emerged.

Finally it was the day that I prepped for my CT scan.  I had the kind of scan where they fish a tube and wire down your nose into your small bowel.  It was nasty getting the tube and wire in, but it got done.  Then the scan wasn't bad until they injected the dye and wow!  Anyway, I was woozy after that, but I had to get Daisy to the vet since my trusted side kick (hubby) was with me.  We had noticed that Daisy was limping on her left back leg.  So the vet examined and pushed and pulled and xrayed.  They gave us a better pain med and we came home.  Well, we had been praying for Daisy and lo and behold the next day Daisy was better.  Mark and I think that she must have dislocated something in her back leg and when the vet did her exam she pushed it back in place.  I did have her on the pain meds for some days which helped her be more comfortable, but after a few days she didn't need it anymore.  Praise the Lord!  So I have my little friend back, she is sitting here beside me as I type this.  What a blessing she is!

As of right now, I got notice from the hospital where my CT scan was performed, that my bowel is fine, no blockages.  And my liver, gallbladder and pancreas are fine as well.  And thankfully as of this writing my bowel has calmed down and is working better and I have finally gained a couple pounds.  I gave up all the supplements I was taking and switched to different ones are targeted on my anxiety.  I have learned that anxiety affects our bowel is a huge way.  And I took up drinking Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg's) in water before breakfast, which has completely cleared up the fungal rashes.  And I began taking a supplement called Triphala which has been helping my bowel return to normal next to eating prunes.  ;-)  Also switched to a high potassium diet and began using progesterone cream.  Hoping all the changes help me get back to health and grow me some hair.  ;-)

Also, another interesting thing in all of this mess was the use of alternative sweeteners.  I decided to use Stevia, Xylitol and Erythritol.  They are supposed to be natural and without much side effects.  Well, when I ran into those horrible bowel problems I had been using those for months.  I stopped them when the bowel issues came on me.  Since stopping them I am doing better.  So I am kind of thinking that maybe those alternative sweeteners are not as safe as they say.  This girl is sticking to coconut sugar, cane sugar, maple syrup and honey.  Just learning to use less of them.

As for the hair journey...you must stay tuned!  I bought my first wig on-line and it came this week.  Unfortunately, my hubby and I didn't like it, so I sent it back.  The wig companies are great about returns and make it easy.  So nice!  On April 16 I am scheduled to meet with Terry to have consult about wigs.  I am excited.  For right now I am wearing wide headbands to cover my bald spot.  Its been fun.  Been watching tutorials on You Tube about make up and having fun with trying that. I turned 58 this March and I feel I am embarking on a new journey.  Sending you big blessings for your journey...XO


1 comment:

Sherry said...

i'm so thankful and happy to see your latest post,
though sorry to learn you've been battling health
issues beyond what you've already experienced.
you're so right in that anxiety does a number on
our bodies/health!!! i'm praying for you! ♥

looking forward to seeing the hair piece you choose. :)